It’s great that more moms are aware than ever about the impact that toxicity has on their children’s learning and behaviour.
It’s not pleasant to think about but we do live in a toxic world.
So everyone wants to detox their kids!
Every other week a parent tells me they had their child do a detox and it didn’t go well.
Their child’s behaviour, brain fog or cognitive performance got worse.
They felt super sick, had headaches and were sluggish.
It was a total nightmare!
I know. I’ve done it with my daughter. I’ve done it with myself.
Detoxing can make you feel ten times worse.
But if it’s done properly – it shouldn’t.
… that’s because detoxing should be the second step.
You need to drain first.
Imagine you have a sink in which gunky, dirty water comes out when you turn the water on.
Think of that water as your kiddos cells that are full of toxins.
Now you know you just need to get that stuff out by ‘letting the faucet run until that water turns clear’.
But what if the sink bowl is blocked – or barely draining?
Where is all that dirty water going to go?
It’s going to stay and recirculate in your child’s body making them feel even worse.
This is what we call blocked detox pathways.
It’s one thing to pull the trash out of your child’s cells – but getting it out of the body via the detox pathways is a whole other story.
Your child’s detox pathways are their:
- Lymphatic system & Glymphatic System (brain)
But it’s not uncommon for these pathways to be blocked or congested.
This is why supporting drainage of these pathways to make sure they are working optimally is key before we start detoxing and pulling stuff out of the cells – which should be the second step.
So the first step is knowing if your child’s detox pathways are blocked.
Signs of Blocked Detox Pathways:
Not having 1-3 bowel movements a day. If your child is not pooping, they are not even clearing what their body is trying to get rid of on a daily basis.
- Digestive issues. Bloating, gas, nausea, greasy or excessively foul smelling stools.
- Not drinking sufficient water – around 2-3 litres a day. Urine should be light or clear.
- They don’t sweat or have difficulty sweating
- Asthma, bronchitis
- Brain fog, memory issues, headaches (indicates the brain is not draining well – glymphatic system).
If you suspect your child’s detox pathways are blocked, your first step needs to focus on opening those pathways up.
In my 6 month program, we do this with herbs, homeopathics etc. that are tailored to a child’s constitution and needs.
But you can definitely get started with some of the suggestions below. (No need to do all of the things! – Be selective.)
The Liver needs liver cleansing foods like:
- Sulphur Veggies (garlic, onion, leeks, shallots)
- Berries – Blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries.
- Citrus fruits like lemons and limes
- Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, cabbage.
- Bitter greens like arugula, nettles, chicory, dandelion greens, mustard & greens.
- Beets and turmeric are also excellent.
- Supplements to consider under the guidance of a health practitioner are milk thistle, tudca, NAC, Glutathione
The Kidneys: Water with lemon, trace minerals, peppermint, cucumber
The Bowels: Fibre like veggies, fruit and beans/lentils, water, exercise, castor oil packs, fermented veggies
The Lungs: Deep breathing, exercise
The Lymphatic System: Dry skin brushing, trampoline, movement, epsom salt baths, sauna, massage
The Glymphatic System (brain): Plenty of sleep
The Cells: 7-9 hours sleep, sunlight, standing barefoot on the earth so kids can absorb electrons which is critical for detoxification
The Main Takeaway? Drain before you detox!
That’s how we can move into deep detoxes that can gently and slowly clear years of toxins from the body so your child’s brain is in its optimal state.
Need help with draining, detoxing and optimising your child’s brain so they are better able to learn, read, focus and manage their emotions? Book a free Clarity Call.