- 2, 400 ml cans of full fat coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa or carob powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2-2/3 of a cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa nibs
- 1/2 cup walnuts
1. Over medium heat in a saucepan warm maple syrup, coconut milk and oil over medium heat.
2. Next add cocoa or carob powder, egg yolks and vanilla and whisk mixture continuously for about 7-10 minutes. Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Do NOT bring mixture to a boil.
3. Pour mixture into a bowl and cover it immediately, placing in the refrigerator to chill for 3-4 hours.
4. Follow the directions on your ice cream maker to complete the process of making the ice cream. Add in walnuts about half way through. Store ice cream in an air tight container.
5. To avoid freezer burn, place plastic wrap directly on the surface of ice cream before placing in the freezer. Freeze for 2-4 more hours (depending on how hard you like your ice cream and how cold your freezer is).
6. In order for ice cream to be soft enough to serve, remove ice cream from freezer for 30-25 minutes before serving. Top with cocoa nibs. Enjoy!