- 1/2 cups granola
- 1/2 cup walnuts or almonds (chopped)
- 2/3 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup unsalted organic butter
- 1/2 cup nut butter of your choice
- 1/4 cup sucanat
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup carob or chocolate chips
1. Combine butter, honey, nut butter, sucanat, vanilla and salt in a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir until sucanat is completely dissolved into melted butter.
2. Pour mixture into a bowl with the granola and walnuts and mix well. Next add cranberries and the chocolate chips. The chocolate or carob chips will melt a little. This is actually good—it helps to hold the other ingredients together.
3. Line a casserole dish with butter and pour mixture into casserole dish. Use a spatula to flatten the mixture. Pressing down firmly actually helps to ‘glue’ the granola so the bars hold later on.
4. Sprinkle some remaining chocolate chips over the granola, then place the casserole dish in a the freezer for 60 minutes. Remove from freezer and check to see if the granola has hardened enough. If not, place dish back in freezer for a little while. Once it is ready cut the granola sheet into squares or rectangles with a large knife.