- 1/2 cups granola
- 1/2 cup walnuts or almonds (chopped)
- 2/3 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup unsalted organicÂ butter
- 1/2 cup nut butter of your choice
- 1/4 cup sucanat
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup carob or chocolate chips
1. Combine butter, honey, nut butter, sucanat, vanilla and salt in a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir until sucanat is completely dissolved into melted butter.
2. Pour mixture into a bowl with the granola and walnuts and mix well. Next add cranberries and the chocolate chips. The chocolate or carob chips will melt a little. This is actually goodâ€”it helps to hold the other ingredients together.
3. Line a casserole dish with butter and pour mixture into casserole dish. Use a spatula to flatten the mixture. Pressing down firmly actually helps to â€˜glueâ€™ the granola so the bars hold later on.
4. Sprinkle some remaining chocolate chips over the granola, then place the casserole dish in a the freezer for 60 minutes. Remove from freezer and check to see if the granola has hardened enough. If not, place dish back in freezer for a little while. Once it is ready cut the granola sheet into squares or rectangles with a large knife.