iLs is a brain stimulation intervention that is based on the fact that we can change our brain – we can essentially re-wire it through specific and repeated stimulation, a concept known as neuroplasticity. As in building strength and endurance with physical exercise, we are able to build neurological pathways and synaptic activity at any age.
iLs trains for brain/body integration through a staged approach, starting with the fundamentals of sensory integration and then extending through more complex cognitive functions, including language, self-expression and social skills.
The notion that the brain is able to change in response to stimulation, an ability known as “neuroplasticity,” is now fact. iLs programs are based on this principle, providing gentle and specific stimulation in order to activate the neural pathways used in the processing of sensory information. Neuronal connections in these pathways are strengthened and new connections are established through repeated sessions of multi-sensory input. iLs programs are customized, i.e. individualized for each person’s therapeutic goals.
The Integrated Listening System integrates music, movement and language exercises for the purpose of improving brain function. iLs programs are designed to be fun, and may be used on their own or in conjunction with other methods.
“What we are doing, by targeting subcortical functions, is improving brain organization from the bottom up.” Ron Minson, MD, iLs Clinical Director, in bestselling book, The Brain’s Way of Healing by Norman Doidge, MD.
WHERE IS iLs MOST EFFECTIVE
Learning & Attention – The iLs Program is customizable for each individual; read more about how the program influences learning, reading, attention and emotional regulation, speech, auditory processing and sensory processing.
- Reading: Fluency & Comprehension
- Fine & Gross Motor Skills
- Sensory & Auditory Processing
- Language Skills: speech, processing, articulation
- Emotional Regulation
Autism & Developmental Difficulties – iLs programs are customized for each individual’s skill and abilities. Symptoms addressed include:
- Social skills
- Emotional regulation
- Sensory Processing
- Auditory Processing
- Attention & Concentration
- Fine & Gross Motor Skills
Adults – iLs is used by students, athletes and professionals of all ages to achieve better attention, mental acuity and motor coordination.
- Focus & Sustained Concentration
- Balance & Coordination
- Multi-tasking: cognitive & motor
- Emotional Balance, Confidence
- Sensory & Cognitive Processing
PROFESSIONALS INTEGRATING ILS INTO THEIR PRACTICE:
Clinical practice and research show iLs to be uniquely effective in the four following areas:
– EMOTIONAL/PHYSICAL SELF-REGULATION: regulates both physical and emotional state
– SELF-CONFIDENCE/SOCIAL ENGAGEMENT: supports confidence, motivation and desire to engage/communicate with others
– SENSORY INTEGRATION: process sensory input easily
– LANGUAGE & COGNITIVE PROCESSING: improves receptive/expressive language, reading and higher executive functions
Learn more at: www.integratedlistening.com