I adapted this recipe from a paleo pumpkin muffin recipe because the recipe called for 6 eggs which I found too ‘eggy’ tasting for a muffin. Instead of 6 eggs, I decided to try 4 flax-meal vegan eggs with only 2 organic free-range eggs. The muffins no longer had an egg flavour and they had a softer, lighter consistency.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs (make sure eggs are room temperature so that they do not solidify the coconut oil)
- 4 flax-seed eggs (see below for how to make flax seed eggs-SUPER EASY!)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 2 cups frozen blueberries (allow to thaw in refrigerator).
- Pour the frozen blueberries in a small bowl and place in the refrigerator so that the blueberries can thaw and create a blueberry juice to form around the blueberries as it thaws.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Make flax-seed eggs to start (see below to learn the super easy way to make vegan eggs.
- Mix vanilla, maple syrup, coconut oil, pumpkin puree and the 2 organic eggs in one bowl (flax eggs will be added at the very end).
- In a separate mix the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the flax eggs to the batter and mix.
- Spoon the batter into a well greased muffin tray. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until muffin is thoroughly baked.
- Once muffins have cooled, pour about 2 tablespoons of blueberries with juice over the muffin.
- Next drizzle about 1 tablespoon of maple syrup or honey over blueberries and muffin
Flax-Seed Vegan Eggs
- Each ‘egg’ should be 1 tablespoon ground flax seed to 3 tablespoons water.
- In a small bowl, add the flax meal first, then add the water, stirring as you do.
- Refrigerate for approximately 30 to 60 minutes. This will make the mixture have a thick, sticky consistency thus acting as a binder just like eggs.
- In this recipe, since you require 4 vegan eggs, you will need to add 4 tablespoons of ground flax seed to a bowl followed by 12 tablespoons of water.